The South Australian Government has various options in the form a money back rebates for customers replacing their water heater or putting in a completely new style of heater in. Depending on your situation the variables are all different and we will go through them in this post.
What do I need to do to qualify?
It’s a question we get asked a lot will I qualify for the cash rebate when I get a new hot water service? There a few items you need to tick on the list first:
- If you are replacing an existing heat pump such as Quantum or Chromagen it must be a minimum of 6 years of age, so in short if your heat pump has lasted past its cylinder warranty which is typically between 5 and 10 years (every manufacturer is different) then you will be entitled for the rebate providing the work is performed by licensed trades people. The model and brand which you choose will affect the rebate. For example, a Stiebel Eltron 302L with smart element currently has a $1,080 plus gst rebate on it, it’s a great saving.
- The same rebate would apply if you were to remove an existing electric storage water heater such as a Rheem Optima 250L or DUX 250L and replace it with the Stiebel Eltron 302L smart element water heater.
- Natural gas has a few different options to be eligible for government rebates which apply to this fuel type. If you currently have natural gas connected but are using electricity for heating of the water and you decide to swap over to natural gas hot water system such as a Rinnai Infinity 26, Rheem Metro or Vulcan, there is currently $500 in rebates available. If you do not have any gas connected to the property and opt to have it installed, you will firstly get the $500 as mentioned above when connecting a gas water heater and am additional $1,000 for connecting a gas meter to property.
- Solar hot water will also entitle you to a government rebate. As mentioned early in the article like heat pumps if you replace an existing solar hot water service with a newer system providing it has served the life of its warranty (as a guide) you will be entitled to fill out the correct form and apply for your rebate.
- As with the situation of a new heat pump installation if you decide to upgrade from a dedicated electric storage water heater such as a Thermann or Ever Hot to a solar heated water service such as a Solar Hart, Edwards, Apricus or Rheem Lo-Line then you will also be eligible for government rebates. These all vary due to the many different models available to customers in Adelaide.
Lower utility bills and money in the bank
It is a situation where you can’t lose, not only do you get to claim up wards from $1,000 on rebates but the technology which you have selected will be using far less energy leading to on going running costs on a business or households to be lower. It’s a bonus the utility bills are going to be lower and your impact to the environment will be decreased.
*please note the information in this article was current at the time of publishing.